I reviewed The Curious Case of Benjamin Button on Blu-Ray for Paramount Home Entertainment, it’s available in stores today. If you haven’t seen it and plan to, I just want to warn you, this movie is LONG. 165 minutes, and it takes a long time to really get going. Brad Pitt plays a man who is born in the body of an old man (but the size of a baby), and then ages backwards. Cate Blanchett is Daisy, who Benjamin meets when she is a young girl, and then as he grows up but gets younger, she grows up and gets older. Thanks to unbelievable makeup and visual effects, it’s easy to tell where each of them is in their aging process.
Based on a story by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Benjamin Button spans the decades from pre-War 1918 into the 21st century, and is set in New Orleans. Directed by David Fincher (Fight Club), Benjamin Button was nominated for 13 Academy awards in February, and won Achievement in Makeup, Visual Effects, and Art Direction.
The Blu-Ray release is a Two-Disc Special Edition packed with bonus features which include:
- Audio Commentary by David Fincher
- The techniques used to create the visual effects and makeup
- The motion-capture process used to age Brad Pitt
- Interviews with Pitt, Blanchett, and the creator of the musical score
- Featurettes on the film’s storyboards, costumes and art direction
- Stills and galleries including candid behind-the scenes production photos
- Subtitles in English, French and Spanish
The price for the Two-Disc Blu-Ray edition is $25.99 on Amazon.com,Â it might make a good Father’s Day gift for a fan of the movie!