My friend Lisa Martin posted a “You know you’re from Wisconsin” graphic on Facebook, and I got inspired! I googled “You know you’re from Michigan” to get me started, so I have to give a shout-out to StrangeCosmos.com. I took some of theirs and added a few of mine, and came up with this. Please feel free to add more in the comments!
YOU KNOW YOU’RE FROM MICHIGAN IF:
1. You show people where you grew up by pointing to a spot on your right hand.
2. You refer to your summer cabin near Lake Michigan as your “cottage”.
3. It takes about 20 minutes to get pretty much anywhere. How far to Walmart? 20 minutes. How far to school? 20 minutes.
4. At least 1 member of your family disowns you the week of the Michigan/Michigan State game.
4. Half the change in your pocket is Canadian, and stores accept it at face value.
5. You drive 86 mph on the highway and pass on the right.
6. Your idea of a traffic jam is 40 cars waiting to pass an orange barrel.
7. You know how to play (and pronounce) Euchre. (It’s YOU-ker)
8. You drink VERNORS ginger ale and Faygo pop, and keep Sanders hot fudge sauce in the fridge.
9. You know how to pronounce “Mackinac”. (It’s MAC-in-aw)
10. You’ve had to switch on the heat and the air conditioning in the same day.
11. You bake with SODA and drink a POP.
12. Your little league game was snowed out.
13. You refer to the right side of the State as the “thumb”.
14. When giving directions, you refer to “A Michigan Left”.
15. You know that Kalamazoo not only exists, but isn’t that far from Hell.
16. Your year has 2 seasons: Winter and Construction.
17. Home Depot on any Saturday is busier than toy stores at Christmas.
18. You know when it has rained because of the smell of worms.
19. Owning a Japanese car was a hangin’ offense in your hometown.
20. You don’t pack up your winter clothes until May.
21. You consider Canada to be a fun place to go for the weekend, not really a whole different country.
22. You have a place set aside in your garage for rinsed-out pop bottles and cans so you can return them for the deposit.
23. You know the saying “If you don’t like the weather, wait a minute. It’ll change”.
We might complain every day about the weather, but most of us absolutely love living in Michigan and will live here our whole lives! What’s something unique about living in your State?